The latest drop of base4
Well, I've started working with the latest drop of Base4.net (version 2.1) - in fact I've decided to take the plunge and actually start using it for the project I'm currently working on (a work project, rather then a home project) so I should be giving it a pretty good thrashing over the next 3-6 months. I already had a rough schema in place, so I generated types from it using the bundled web admin... It seems pretty cool... though I've struck a few things:
- nvarchar(256) fields seems to show up as being 512 characters in length within base4.net... I'm not sure if this is a bug with the schema interrogation, guess we'll find out as a I dig further in ;o) - though it's only skin deep of course, as you can change them to 256 with a quick edit.
- I managed to create an assembly that was invalid... not sure how ;o) I could look at in reflector .Net, but base4 wasn't having a bar of it (even though it had generated it) - I must have screwed up a relationship somewhere, but I wasn't really sure... ended up just dumping it and starting from scratch again.
- It doesn't seem that easy to refactor existing schema's using the web designer... while I was learning it would have been good to generate a schema, play with the assembly, then start editing and generate again... instead I ended up having to save the schema to disk, delete, edit, and recreate. Still, it's pretty slick :)
- My urge to make things happen without understanding the in's and outs of base4.net
- Horses for courses, the web admin is great for getting off to ground with base4.net, but I think I'll have to get down and dirty with the xml pretty soon...
- SQL 2005
- Castle (Monorail & IoC)
- NLog (or log4net... though I'm loosing faith in the latter)
- Some COM & Unmanaged code for audio processing